Hello from quarantine all! I hope you enjoy the next few projects. Seeing as how we are all living through our first major pandemic, we have a lot of time on our hands. Maybe even some extra time to get your creative on ey?! This DIY mobile is a simple and versatile way to add natural elements into your living space! It’s versatile design allows for pictures to be easily updated whenever you want and it can be modified to fit the supplies that you already have. Enjoy!
- Wood stick
- Pocket knife & Sandpaper
- Fishing line
- Small stones
- Embroidery floss
- Polaroid style photos
- Finding a Stick: make sure that the stick you choose is not wet or rotting; you want this project to be in your house without any additional critters. When you’ve selected your stick, use a pocket knife and your sandpaper to smooth the surface. Feel free to be creative here and leave some bark visible for added texture!
- Adding Textural Interest: To add some unique elements to my craft I chose to wrap one end of my stick with an old choker necklace that I never wore. When I hung the finished mobile on the wall, I tucked dried flowers at the end. If you have allergies artificial flowers are an option!
- Attaching the Basics: I used a combination of fishing line and twine for each of the strands of the mobile. This is where you’ll attach your photos and anything else you want to hang. A loop of twine was used to create the hanging strap at the top of the mobile. Make sure you use a strong twine here because this is how you’ll hang your wall art later!
- Adding Attachments: I used hot glue to attach strings of pebbles to the fishing line. It’s easiest, here, if you glue the fishing line between two stones. I also chose to hang embroidery floss tassels. My mobile is decorated with neutral colors but it would be interesting to choose bright colored tassels and hang strands of colored beads or artificial flowers here!
- Photos: The polaroid photos are really the perfect size for this project. I don’t own the camera, but I invested in a mini printer that my phone can bluetooth to. Highly recommend! Clothespins add a cute touch to the project and are the perfect way to hang your photos.